During the architecting of Share.Net (the good old days when I programmed in C#) I remember that I found a great library for .Net that extracted file icons via SHGetFileInfo that also did some smart caching. Once fooling the ListBox or ComboBox that you provided a ImageList via helper methods you could use it to extract file icons and associate them immediately with you control. I looked a bit but it doesn't seems that there is an alternative managed API for doing this yet so I guess this is still the best way around this issue.
One problem with it I think is that you renounce the use of custom icons but I might be mistaken.
PS. The last revision of the article was 2003-Mar-04. This guy did some great stuff but his site is not very active any more. Who knows why...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relaxing SSL validation for JaxWS

Search and Replace in ODT using AODL

Kaspersky Anti Virus 6 and Subversion problems