I've been installing Gentoo these past two days. After two unsuccessful tries this one hit the spot. It loads quickly, has a beautiful framebuffer console, accelerated Ati Radeon drivers for X, and a nice bootsplash to boot (pun intended).
I've had some problems including a installation bug parting from stage1 with groff but all problems find solutions on the excellent forum that this community has.
I'm a owner of a ASUS P4P800 DeLuxe motherboard. It's a sweet motherboard but it has some issues with Linux. Mainly no official support from VIA in releasing the sources for the Raid VT6410 controller (forum), integrated sound (forums at gentoo help, this one is a bit off topic but shows pieces of code that hits the right spot), integrated LAN 3c940 ( haven't made it work yet but reportedly the sk98lin drivers should work if one includes "Marvell Yukon Chipset / SysKonnect SK-98xx family support" when you compiling the kernel). One nice thing about gentoo is that it makes you edit the config files and the run level apps so you get a better feel of the system. On the bad side I'm not too happy about the compile time. Anyhow I'm still learning it and ít's been loads of fun.
I've been on Linux since a guy in Finland send me by snail mail for free a copy of Red Hat 5.0 (thx Pekka Peterson). I've tried most distributions and to this day my preferred is the RedHat. I've tried Fedora RC1 and although it was a bit buggy I'm still having great hopes. Unfortunately for me 1.90 beta was terrible and that resulted in installing gentoo which I'll probably keep until Fedora RC2 comes up.
Waiting for MonoDevelop as well, please add it in the portage tree :) !

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relaxing SSL validation for JaxWS

Search and Replace in ODT using AODL

Kaspersky Anti Virus 6 and Subversion problems