This is the last blog entry for today, I've been overwhelmed by info so before going to bed I'll try to do some mental cleanup. I like Windows, I develop a lot on that platform and I like the roadmap that MS is putting ahead for Longhorn (except I'm of the opinion that it should be based on all three pillars Indigo, Avalon AND WinFS; putting WinFS out and backporting Avalon and Indigo to Win XP, which is great, makes no sense and such a product would not live to the hype and goodness it's expected to bring). I also like Linux, it's Unix for the masses and it's proven that the Bazzaar can produce things that the Cathedral didn't/doesn't (I put here MS and Unix's too). I also like my Gentoo which is a hybrid between FreeBSD's ports and Linux. I haven't tried FreeBSD but I expect it to be very good (here I realize I'm getting old). I'd really like to try MacOSX but that will not happen as I don't like locked in platforms. On the other hand there is this project called GNU-Darwin that brings the Darwin kernel and a FreeBSD ports tree so in the end if you can't get the Mac goodness in terms of look and feel at least you can touch the core.
So my conclusion would be this, if Apple could release MacOSX for the average PC people would buy it just as they buy Windows XP. Apple can't deliver the hardware in a manner that can change the market today, but they could at least put some guidelines; a industry level brand like "OSX Compatible" could at least give the average Joe the possibility of running your system. However, the PC market is different from the Mac market, a lot of people (power users) like to build their own configurations, shouldn't they be able to choose MacOSX for their OS too? Use the force from the Open Source movement and their knowledge to power your platform both in terms of drivers as well as in support. You can't scale as a company as quickly if you don't. At least that's my opinion.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relaxing SSL validation for JaxWS

Search and Replace in ODT using AODL

Kaspersky Anti Virus 6 and Subversion problems