I'd like to say some things. First of all I like C# more than Java and I believe C# 2.0 is better than Java5. For this last year or so, my life has been immersed with developing J2EE Web Apps so I'd like to share this with all whom it may concern even though I haven't programmed one single line of Asp.net despite I wanted to do so. My first objection was the Web Server issue. Sun did some really neat politics, it makes a set of specifications and lets third party developers implement them. This alone gave me the possibility to choose from a variety of different Servlet and Application Servers. On the MS front? IIS 5.0, 6.0 (runs only on Win2k3 Server) or Cassini. As I wanted to run IIS 6.0 and I didn't like to install Win2k3 it'll be a while until I'll be developing on the Asp.net platform.
Asp.net looks great I must admit, simple yet straightforward API, unified thanks to the fact there is just one innovator, just one implementer. Componentized developing that has been Asp.net's pillar works today and J2EE is lagging behind with it's revised JSF specification (and I'm still a bit skeptic about it). Java tooling is a strange story as well. A vibrant society with many fractions, some schism's, and a lot of gurus. Frameworks have been conceived this past decade that will make you split your brain in a gazillion fractions and make you wander if you're ever going to learn them all. This is understandable, with so many years on the market this group of people beated to death the OO paradigm and are going even beyond (ex. AOP). What will the future bring? I don't know.
I wish there was more innovation in the .Net world, I'd like to see a new generation of Web servers, preferably from the Apache group, I'd like to see even emulations of the J2EE platform as I kind of like it. Will it happen? Of course, but it'll take time and critical mass, after all it took Java more than a decade. What .Net has is the fact that it's a clean slate implementation that started from scratch and can borrow most paradigms that were implemented in Java in a breeze.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Relaxing SSL validation for JaxWS

Search and Replace in ODT using AODL

Kaspersky Anti Virus 6 and Subversion problems