I've read this article in which Linus gives his point of view on GPL v3. I must say that I'm with Torvalds on this issue, not that I am pro-DRM oriented but because you shouldn't really impose restrictions on other people that you wish your software/hardware would need to work with. On one hand GPL does give you some rights but it also locks you to GPL-compatible alternatives as well and I really don't think it's the best developer licence there is.
The tragicomic thing about this is that we see GPL fighting GPL and I don't see it leading to anything positive.
That said, if one can afford the time and thinks that he can strike a adopter/abandoner balance the GPL v3 might be a valid alternative. I just don't think it's in Linux's interest and the current user and developer base to pass over to GPL v3.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Kaspersky Anti Virus 6 and Subversion problems

Relaxing SSL validation for JaxWS

Search and Replace in ODT using AODL